In the April issue we featured the making of Auckland International Airport, which opened in January 1966.
THE AIRPORT WAS FIRST mooted back in 1929 but it was 1959 before a decision on the Mangere site was made and approved and the Ministry of Works started building the new airport.
At the height of construction some 170 bulldozers, scrapers, dump trucks and draglines worked the site from dawn to dusk.
Here are a few more photos we didn’t use in the main article published in the May issue.
Photos are from the private collection of Richard Campbell.